Help Save Tokelau by granting Tokelau SolarCoins
Project conceived in January 2015 by the SolarCoin Foundation
Scope of Work: Blockchain technology, political negotiation and media outreach
Skill level: International Political negotiations: medium, Blockchain technology: medium, graphic design and media creation: medium, Media outreach and community management: medium
- Establish contact with correct government authority
- Formalize agreement for SolarCoin note/coin granting
- Manage press relations and messaging
- Ensure security of grants to Tokelau, and blockchain registration of issued bills on a 1:1 basis to maintain circulation integrity
- Support ongoing use of SolarCoin from proper authorities
- Support ongoing Tokelaun marketing efforts
- Validate use of proceeds and grants for Tokelauns
Background: Tokelau is the world’s smallest economy estimated at $1.5m GDP spread across 1,411 residents in the south pacific. $100,000 of GDP or roughly 7.5% comes from the issuance of stamps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokelau. The nation state is a series of small atolls with highest elevation of 2 meters. As such the Tokelauns are on the front line when it come to climate change impacts related to rising sea levels. http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokelau
100% of Tokelau’s energy needs are currently met by solar energy and hence a good case for SolarCoin granting.
The SolarCoin Foundation is interested in making a grant to Tokelau for the production of physical SolarCoin notes, which could then be sold by Tokelau at a premium. The grant would likely be matched with coins from community (tbd). The funds would be used by the general administrating government of Tokelau to aid the nation’s citizens.
End Dream: A significant impact in the lives of the Tokelau GDP and standard of living.
Timeline: Before December 2018 target – project ongoing
Nick Gogerty: SolarCoin Foundation (Project Co-ordinator and Co-originator)
François Sonnet: Project Manager